Program: Safe Routes to School National Partnership
Institution: Bikes Belong Foundation
Posted: July 3, 2013
Start Date: As soon as possible in July
Location: Sacramento, CA – your home office
Applications: Should be sent to email@example.com based on specific details below. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications will be accepted until July 12 and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.
Summary: The California Communications Assistant is a temporary contract position from July through December 2013 to support the California campaign to protect state funding for Safe Routes to School. This part-time contract position will support the work of the California Advocacy Organizer in creating educational campaign materials and resources and updating websites, e-newsletters, and social media. Responsibilities will also include organizing for meetings and partner calls to mobilize grassroots advocacy and to assist with communications with partner organizations, the public, and policy makers around:
- Protecting Safe Routes to School funding
- Advancing a good structure for the Governor’s proposed Active Transportation Program if adopted
- Ensuring provisions for lower income communities to advance equity in the Active Transportation Program if adopted
- Promoting how Safe Routes to School contributes positively to climate protection issues as an eligible recipient of cap-and-trade revenue (possible additional research required)
Required qualifications for the California communications assistant position include: a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; experience in policy, campaign, communications and/or advocacy work; knowledge of Safe Routes to School; excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong problem solving skills; detail-oriented; and proficient with PCs and with MS Office software.
The communications assistant will follow communication standards and review processes in coordination with National Partnership communications department.
Reports to: California Advocacy Organizer
Classification: Independent contract position (20 hrs/week, and up to 40 hrs/week for 2-3 weeks prior to Safe Routes to School National Conference Aug 13-15), six month contract (July-Dec 2013).
Rate of pay: $25/hour with a maximum contract amount of $15,000 over the six month period.
- Develop lists of Safe Routes to School projects in target regions and districts in California to educate policy makers about the local benefits of the program
- Write and edit online messaging such as action alerts and blogs, and other educational print materials, share information to partners.
- Update social media such Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress sites
- Write and disseminate press releases, as needed, gather and maintain media contact lists
- Organize conference calls and webinars with partners and recruit attendance especially for equity and health partners
- Assist with additional activities, special projects, research and other duties as assigned
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples in one PDF file to Jeanie Ward-Waller, California Advocacy Organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org. The PDF file shall be named as follows: [LastName]_[CACommunicationsAssistant].pdf. Ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text “CA Communications Assistant.” We do not accept email or telephone inquiries.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged with an email reply. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis but the deadline for application is July 12. Applying soon is encouraged as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and the position filled as soon as possible.